Monday, April 18, 2011

Retrieval Recap

First, the nitty gritty:

8 follicles
5 eggs
5 mature
3 embryos - as of 12:00 yesterday.

Now the details:

Friday afternoon I began to feel a headache coming on.  I left work early and by the time I got home I was pretty much in migraine-ville.  My concern was that my hormones were falling off fast and that all my eggs were dying.  Yes, I have a vivid, morbid imagination.  We took the Little Guy over to my SIL's and stayed to chat for a while.  All I wanted was peace and quiet and a dark room.  I had to force myself to eat dinner.  I felt horrible.  BJ was convinced it was the HCG causing it.  He must have told me to call the doctor 5 times.  I refused...nothing was ruining this for us.  He started looking my symptoms up online and had a real eye opener to what I was actually putting in my body.  He really thought I should call the doctor after his research.  I just laid down on the couch and watched the hockey game.  I slept for a while and when I woke up I felt extremely nauseous.  I went to the bathroom and dry heaved about 6 times...nothing would come up.  Then all of a sudden my stomach felt better.  My head still hurt but that was it.  It was off to bed.

Saturday morning went fine.  We arrived at the clinic with 20 minutes to spare.  I changed into my sexy gown and cap and we hung out together until it was time.  We thumb wrestled and were cracking each other up.  I'm sure if the other couples could hear us they were probably wondering what was so funny.  We kept things very light for the remainder of our wait.  I was pretty groggy afterward, like in the past.  I felt a little disappointment at only 5 eggs but was hopeful that they would all be mature given my E2 level on Thursday.  They had mixed up my instructions and tried to tell me that I would be doing daily PIO shots.  I had to set her straight and she checked and found out that I was right.  Whew!  We were stuck in some very nasty traffic on the way home and it took us an hour longer than it should have.  The nurse specifically said not to wait too long before eating so that I could take my pain pill.  Well BJ being BJ, didn't want to go off route to get food and thought it would be fine to wait until we were closer to home.  Thankfully I slept some in the car because I was in pain and was after 3:00 before we got something to eat.

I took my pill when we got home and laid down on the couch and was in and out most of the evening.  The pain subsided and I was able to enjoy dinner.

The only 5 minutes that I didn't have my phone with me was when the lab called and left me a message to tell me that all 5 were heart soared.  My heart promptly sank when we she said that we had 3 embryos.  I'm happy to have one more than last time but at the same time I'm sad to only have 3 after everything had been going so well.  I was so hoping to be able to freeze this time.  I should be getting a call soon from the nurse to tell me how many we still have and what day we will be transferring.  I'm sure with only 3 our transfer will be tomorrow.  However, if we have 3 great looking embryos I don't know that we will transfer all 3.  I'm pretty against it but BJ is on the fence.  Also, I don't know if my clinic will freeze just one.  Of course, this might be a non-problem depending on the phone call I get in a little while.

Thank you all so very much for being here for me during this time...and always, really.  It has meant so much to me to be able to come here and lend a voice to all my fears and dreams.  I will update later with news from the lab.  Right now, the Little Guy and I are off to IHOP for breakfast and then heading to the movies to see Rio.


Alley said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck!!! I have all my crossables crossed for you and hope the lab gives you good news!

Alex said...

I'm hoping and praying that those three embies grow, baby, grow!!! Thinking of you...

Amanda said...

I'm glad everything went well. I think 3 embryos is fantastic, and I'll be sending you positive thoughts over the next few days. xo

A said...

Definitely praying those three are strong and beautiful and at least one will snuggle in tight!!

Anonymous said...

Good news! I know it's not exactly what you were hoping for, but I'm hoping it's "quality" over quantity and one of those little guys is going to make you a mom :).
Can't wait to hear the report1

Fran said...

Keeping everything crossed for those little fighters to grow very strong! Fran

Rebecca said...

I'm really hoping that you'll soon be pregnant.

Lara (NoodleGirl) said...

Yep with 3 embies, your transfer will almost definitely be a Day 3. But no worries there, a Day 3 transfer is what brought me Finnbug! I can't wait to hear your lab update!! Continued P&PTs!