Thursday, January 14, 2010

Traveling Eggs

I'm sitting here wondering if I have a fertilized egg making its way through my fallopian tubes to a final nesting spot in my uterus. It's something we all wonder, each month as we cycle. It's amazing to me that in July I DID have 2 fertilized eggs making their way to my ever waiting and wanting uterus. I wonder all the time what happened to them between day 3 and day(s) 6/7 when they should have been implanting. The only thing that I can come up with is that I have bad eggs. Or at least not good eggs. After all, one of my eggs let 2 sperm in that is usually a pretty good indicator that something was wrong. Never the less, the 2 good embies that I had didn't stick around for more than a couple of days after transfer.

If only my eggs had Velcro on the outside of them to help them stick. Remember when we were told (at least I was) that we needed to eat some food that would stick to your ribs? What exactly does that mean? Doesn't our food go into our stomach? What if we've been going about this the wrong way all along? What if my Grandmother knew something that I didn't about where in our bodies things stick? What exactly would let food stick to my ribs? Whatever it is, I'd like to get some for my eggs. Maybe THEN they would stick to my uterus. Provided of course that they fertilize. That might be a harder task than sticking these days.

But on the other hand, maybe she meant stick as in weight gained. That wouldn't be so preferable. I already have that one figured out. Heck, that was the easy part. All the meds and injections and just not caring because "hey I'm getting knocked up anyway so I might as well eat like I'm already pregnant" on top of the "hey, I can't do any real exercising because I'm growing eggs, getting ready for retrieval, recovering from retrieval, hosting 2 beautiful embies, depressed about my failed IVF" eating that I did. So Grandma, if you meant that my food would stick to my ribs by way of gaining weight, you weren't really on to anything profound. However, if you know something I don't about how to get things to stick, then please send me a message from Heaven and let me in on the secret. Me and my infertile friends would really appreciate it.

**********************
PS - I'm loving my new background. Purple is my favorite color and this is a perfect way (for now) to see it from day to day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are so many moving parts to this whole conception thing - it just blows my mind that anyone is able to get pregnant at all!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

A said...

I agree with callmemama- it really is a miracle it ever works, not to mention to people who aren't taking prenatals and drinking coffee and doing drugs/alcohol and not taking extra supplements....

Here's hoping that our little fertilized eggies stick this month- I have heard you are supposed to do "positive imagery" that your uterus is a soft sponge that the fertilized eggie bumps into and decides to stay because it's so comfy...

Infertility is the New Black said...

Hello! Visiting from ICLW this week and we love your blog! As we are all taking this journey it is good to know we have friends with similar emotions out there. We've got our virtual fingers crossed for YOU! - With Love, Infertility is the New Black