Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Total Frustration Day

Yesterday morning one of my cats (at first I thought Gizmo but now I'm not so sure) pissed on my bed.  A LOT.  Right in the middle.  I was stunned to say the least.  More like, angry, scared, confused, anxious...all sorts of things.  All I wanted to do was wring his neck and then try to cover it up somehow so that BJ wouldn't find out.  I didn't do either.  I ripped the bedspread (that I searched for months for) off the bed and the sheets and then I remembered that we have a mattress pad on our bed.  It came off, too.  Thankfully none of it soaked through to the mattress.  A new mattress is not in the budget right now.  I decided to lock both cats in the basement with their food, water and bed for the day.  I started the washing machine and out the door I went.  Then came the fun task of telling BJ.  I know his feelings...if the cat pees in the house, it has to go.  I told him and he was upset and confused just as I was.  He got home first and he actually let both cats out of the basement.  He was nice to both, too.  He loves Gizmo more than he thought he would.  He gives him kisses and holds him like a baby and calls him his buddy.  However, if it happens again we will have problems.  Especially since now we aren't sure which cat did the deed.  It's too much to type out but Gizmo was definitely the front runner until I really started thinking that maybe Smokey was ticked about Gizmo jumping up on the bed...HER bed....that she has been banned from (at night) since we brought Gizmo home because he woke BJ up climbing on us.  The litter boxes have been cleaned better than usual and the tops taken off as I read an article that says cats prefer to be able to see when they pee.  They were not locked in the basement today but all bedroom doors were closed.  I haven't tried to clean my bedspread yet...that is tonight's task.  I will be so upset if it's ruined.  Wish me luck.

I'm so scared it will happen again.  I can't have a cat for a pet that lives outside.  What is the point of having it as a pet?  Also, it's too dangerous out there for little kitties what with other animals and raccoons and other cats.  And I can't get rid of them.  I would die inside.  If I was 100% certain which cat it was maybe I could figure out why it happened.  Parting with either of them would kill me...I would suffer a broken heart for sure.  I've had Smokey for almost 10 years...she was with me through some very dark times in my life.  She was my cuddle partner on many lonely nights and she always makes me smile.  And Gizmo, he's such a bright spot in our lives.  He's so verbal with us and so much fun to play with and he just loves getting his belly rubbed when I come home from work.

I have been so stressed about this since it happened.  I can hardly think of anything else but my babies.  I have to hope and pray that neither of them do anything like this again.  I wish they could really understand me when I talk to them.  Please don't pee anywhere but in your litter box, Kitties...mommy loves you so much and I can't bear the thought of losing either of you!!!

6 comments:

Mel. said...

I'm so sorry about your kitty (and your bedspread - hope it's easy to clean)! Hopefully this was an isolated incident and you can stop stressing!

A said...

it stinks when the pets you love get into trouble. i was so mad at banana when she ate my vitamins, i didnt even want to call the vet. luckily my husband was thinking more level-headed ;-) i really hope it was a one-time event, and that if it wasn't, you might be able to figure out the cause (hug)

Pie said...

I'm so sorry to hear someone missed the litterbox by a mile. Not good. One thing I will say was my mom's cat only did this when he was sick, like he had a bladder infection. He got them every so often as he got older, and they began to learn that if he peed somewhere strange, it must be time to take him to the vet. Just a thought. Hopefully it won't happen again.

A m a n d a said...

Oh no! It's so hard to place blame when you have two...we used to have to deal with that when we had two dogs. When they know you're mad, they both look guilty!

I hope it was a one time thing. I've heard that when animals pee where they sometimes sleep, it could mean they aren't feeling well. Hopefully that's all it was...

someday-soon said...

I had a cat do that once and I called the vet and they had me bring my kitty in for a urine test. Turned out to be a UTI and she need antibiotics. The vet said 70% of the time cats to it because of a physical reason not a behaviour reason. Might be worth checking out?

Anonymous said...

I had a cat that constantly peed all over the house, eventually she developed kidney failure and just started peeing everywhere. It was awful--it smelled so much that we finally had to move her outside and it totally broke my heart. I hope your kitty is okay and this was a one time thing, but I totally understand your worries.