Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quick Trip Recap

I can’t even begin to tell you how nice it was to get away for a brief trip. I was so worried about the windy, cold weather but it didn’t really bother us. Would we have rather been walking the boardwalk in shorts and sandals...hell yes. But the reality of it wasn’t really so bad. BJ wore long sleeves and I wore a jacket and we were a little chilly at times but the sun was shining the whole time and that really helped to keep us warm. Plus, the hotels and shops on the boardwalk actually helped block some of the wind. We walked and walked and walked some more. We grabbed some lunch and then we went and took a nap. We went to a seafood restaurant within walking distance of the hotel and had a nice dinner. And then we spent a couple of hours in the hotel bar having a few cocktails and playing the Pit Boss (it was on free play so we didn’t even have to spend any money to play all that time!).

The restaurant had some Mother’s day specials, of course. BJ ordered from that menu. We were sitting there and since it was quiet I decided to call my step-mom and wish her a happy Mother’s day. I sent my sister a text and she replied with “you, too (being a step mom and all)”. I showed that to BJ and he said that he didn’t expect the Little Guy to call me and I agreed. And we both agreed that his mother would not remind him to call me. Not 5 minutes later my phone rang...it was the Little Guy. I almost burst into tears at the table but I was just so pleased that he called all I could do was smile. Whether or not he needed reminding, he called. I told him that he made my day.

BJ’s dinner special came with a dessert and we split a small slice of chocolate cake. When the waitress came over with our check she brought 2 carnations. I graciously accepted and as soon as she left I proceeded to tell BJ how inappropriate it was for her to bring me the flowers that were part of his dinner special. We did not have a child with us. Why would she do that? She should have just left them in the back room for someone else. This was the only thing that really bothered me the whole day. I told BJ that she didn’t know our circumstances and it was very presumptuous of her to bring the flowers to the table. Whatever.

I thought about Mother’s day a lot, of course. And I figured out why this one bothered me so much more than any of the last 10. I should be a mother this year. This year should have been my year to be a real mom. My baby would have been born the first week of April (assuming I didn’t run past my “expiration date too far”). On our drive home we took an exit off the freeway and all of a sudden the medical building that my IF clinic resides in was staring me in the face. I hadn’t seen it since my negative beta draw last July. I was stunned into silence and then I did the mature thing and flicked it off. BJ said, “no doubt...bunch of con-artists”. And that was it. We passed it and I tried to push it out of my mind.

So all in all, we had a nice time. And the Little Guy called me. And it really did make my day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm so glad he called you! That is awesome :). Glad you had a pretty good time, regardless of the whole carnation thing. I don't get that - why do they automatically assume every woman must be a mom? I don't like this whole holiday - it's a manufactured thing, not a real expression of the restaurant's thanks to moms. Bleh.

Alex said...

Again, so happy he called you. That's so awesome! Sounds like you had a nice weekend overall!

Mel. said...

I'm so glad you had a nice time, sounds like a great trip! Too sweet of the Little Guy to call you!! :)